Sunday, January 22, 2012

Top 10 of 2011

Finally... here they are... my top 10 photos of 2011! (I think... I keep changing my mind!)

At the beginning of every year, I take studio portraits of my children... and while I look at this picture and think of 10 ways that I would now shoot it differently (& better!), it has made my Top 10 because it did show me that I was much improved from the year before... oh yes, and because my oldest would be mad if she didn't appear in the Top 10!
This show was taken near Bridal Falls, BC... and was a personal triumph in that I managed my favourite water effect without a tripod! (A tree stump came to the rescue!) You see, when you travel with 2 small children 90% of the time, your backpack is full of snacks and emergency supplies - no room for useful camera accessories like a tripod!
Captured with the aid of my junior assistants... who were more than willing to oblige in blowing every dandelion clock we could find, along the Vedder Rotary Trail, to get the shot! A great shot with a great memory to go with it. 
Captured at the Vancouver Aquarium - I just loved the grace and calmness of these jellyfish and managed to grab a few great shots of them, that day.
I love this shot for 2 reasons - 1. Because I am proudly showcasing the produce nurtured by my own fair hand in our own back yard (my Dad would be so proud!) and 2. I am (successfully!) using a technique that was taught to us by Scott Kelby at his "Light It. Shoot It. Retouch It. Live" seminar in Vancouver, last year (LOVED the seminar and learned a lot - highly recommend it if he ever comes to a town near you).
Captured on the beach at Whytecliff Park, near Vancouver - I was enjoying a great day out shooting with 2 good friends, and we had just dived under cover to shelter from a sudden rain shower when this little fella popped onto the beach with a slightly unusual snack on his beak - a poor unsuspecting starfish! I braved the wet and tried to stealthily get closer... he kept inching away and turning his back on me! Patience prevailed, and I got my shot just before he threw his head back and gulped it down.
I was experimenting with slightly different angles, and just captured a shot that I love - simple as that!
This was taken as an assignment for a photography course I did, last year. I had not attempted much still life prior to the course and discovered that I actually really enjoy it. 
This shot was taken while I was experimenting with using festive lights to create great bokeh. How could you not love a cute face like that?!
This is probably my favourite shot of the year. Whilst on a "Girls Day-Out Shooting" with 2 great photo-loving friends, this was shot at sunset at Point Atkinson Lighthouse in West Vancouver. My aim of the year was to capture a scenic shot that I would want to hang on my wall - this was it... and was worth the scary walk through the pitch-black forest back to the car!

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment or suggestion. If you don't see your message right away, don't worry - it is just awaiting moderation. In the meantime, thanks for taking the time to comment. :-)